To write a unique scholarship essay, uniqueness is key! Below you’ll find how to write a winning scholarship essay.
There is no one way to write a winning scholarship application. If you gathered together all the scholarship entries that have ever won a prize, you would find it difficult to identify what made them the same.
Each would offer a distinctive style employed by the author; a unique insight into his or her past, present, and future aspirations.
Make your scholarship application essay exclusive to you, personalize it, delve deep into your passion and drive to study your subject, and create a response that could only ever relate to you.
It is this individuality that stands out, and that’s exactly what catches a judge’s eye and defines a winner.
The later part of this article will give a more detailed guide.
Steps on How to Write a Winning Scholarship Essay
These are the basic principles I and our subscribers have applied to write our winning scholarship essays over time. Diligently read below.
1. Read the essay statement you are being asked to respond to, and identify the key themes.
The scholarship usually gives an essay statement and asks you to respond to it, identify the key themes in that essay statement. This understanding is paramount to writing a compelling scholarship essay.
From my own example, the essay statement was: ‘Where I have demonstrated responsible leadership, or innovation, and how it made a difference either in my community or in my work’. I identified the key themes as ‘leadership’ and ‘community impact’.
2. Understand the meaning of the key themes.
After identifying the key themes, it is important to understand what each of these ideas really means, beyond the initial level.
For instance, I acknowledged that the meaning of ‘leadership’ involved identifying the effects my leadership had – the actions taken and results achieved under my leadership – and not simply describing the position I held and my responsibilities.
The more depth you bring to your understanding of the meaning of each theme, the more examples you will be able to identify to demonstrate your abilities.
3. Fill your scholarship essay with keywords/synonyms of keywords used in the scholarship statement.
Using the keywords from thethroughout your essay will demonstrate your commitment to addressing the question being asked. For instance, I made a special effort to ensure references to ‘leadership’; ‘innovation’, and ‘impacting communities’ ran throughout my essay.
4. Make an engaging start to your essay.
If you are struggling to start your scholarship application essay, why not include a quote or statement that relates to your intended course, and which you can later link to the main body of your text.
Showing wider knowledge and aptitude for your subject will help convince the judges that it is a worthwhile investment to support you in your chosen course.
Read Also: 15 International Scholarships In Taiwan
5. Understand the criteria used by the scholarship committee to evaluate application essays.
Based on my own experience, I have outlined what I believe to be the key criteria used byjudges for evaluating how you have written your scholarship application essays on the themes of leadership and community impact. My advice would be to address all of these areas in your essay, whether the question explicitly asks for it or not.
What to include in scholarship essays about leadership:
This section gives you tips on what to include when seeking how to write a scholarship essay on leadership.
- . What was your initial inspiration and how did the experience make you feel? This is a very important aspect of how to write a scholarship essay as it allows you to show your sincerity and demonstrates your passion.
- ? A scholarship isn’t just an award; it’s an investment in your future. So if you plan to continue being involved in your particular leadership activity in the future, tell the judges.
Read Also: Best Countries to Study Abroad with WAEC
What to include in scholarship essays about community impact:
- Joy from helping others? The excitement of trying something new? Opportunity to form relationships with others? Having a genuine reason helps build a convincing essay.
- write a scholarship essay, it is important to show that you understand how through giving, you end up receiving more in the end. Sharing what community service has taught you and how it helped you develop demonstrates that you have truly gained from your participation and suggests you will continue doing so in the future.
Check this list of Scholarships that don’t require you to write a Scholarship Essay here
When you want to write your scholarship application essay or cover letter, show that you know who you are.
What are the relevant past and present experiences that demonstrate your abilities and where are you headed? Use carefully selected language to emphasize your passion, ambition, and enthusiasm.
Remember to adopt a positive mindset, in which you believe in all the great things you have done and plan to continue achieving in the future. If you don’t believe in yourself, why would the judges?
Best of luck!